July 30, 2009
• After being nominated by the Georgia Association of Middle School Principals, Morgan County Middle School Principal Dr. Joe Hutcheson was chosen to receive the 2009 Outstanding Educator award, which was given to him at the Georgia Association of Educational Leaders conference this month. Hutcheson was recognized at the Monday, July 20 meeting of the Morgan County Board of Education.
• Georgia's Sales Tax Holiday is slated for this weekend, from Thursday, July 30 to Sunday, August 2. A sales tax exemption on "tangible personal property" will apply to articles of clothing costing $100 or less per item, a single purchase of a personal computer costing $1,500 or less, and general school supplies costing $20 or less per item, according to the state Department of Revenue Web site. For the complete list of exemptions, visit etax.dor.ga.gov.
• The Starbucks located on Eatonton Road, Madison, has received news that the store will be officially closing on August 24. All employees were asked by Starbucks Coffee Company to refrain from commenting on the matter.
• After reading about residential recycling in the Morgan County Citizen, Madison Health & Rehab started recycling cardboard and paper products on Tuesday, July 21. In just two days, the dumpster was reaching the half-way mark. “It’s a lot of stuff; all of our supplies come in boxes,” Administrator Joanne Wrenn said. “We’re glad to be recycling – just to recycle.”
• Five of Joan Sebastian's Andalusian Stallions were boarded at Southern Cross Ranch last week, as Sebastian, a Grammy Award-winning singer and songwriter, was performing at the Arena at Gwinnett Center in Gwinnett County. A part of the concert, the stallions boarded at Southern Cross entertained and performed for guests.