Long Shadow ranked fourth in state
By Greg Sullivan
Long Shadow Golf Club at Madison Lakes received its first big honor this month, being ranked in the current issue of Golfweek as the fourth best golf course in Georgia in the publication's annual Best Courses You Can Play ranking.
The course came in just ahead of three Reynolds Plantation courses, Great Waters, Oconee and National, which finished fifth, sixth and seventh respectively.
"I think it's a really positive thing for the club to get mentioned like that," said Long Shadow Director of Golf Ed Hoard. "Hopefully, we'll continue to receive accolades."
The two other major golf publications, Golf Digest and Golf Magazine, are expected to evaluate the course and their competitors sometime this year.
The Long Shadow course, which just opened its back nine holes in June of 2007, has only recently become eligible for such rankings.
Courses placing ahead of Long Shadow in this year's Golfweek ranking were Golf Club at Cuscowilla in Eatonton, Sea Island Golf Club (Seaside) in St. Simons Island and Club at Savannah Harbor.
Golfweek’ Best Courses You Can Play 2008 rankings for Georgia include the following 10 courses:
1. Golf Club at Cuscowilla, Eatonton (No. 39 m)
2. Sea Island GC (Seaside), St. Simons Island (No. 82 m)
3. Club at Savannah Harbor, Savannah (m)*
4. Long Shadow, Madison (m)*
5. Reynolds Plantation (Great Waters), Greensboro (m)
6. Reynolds Plantation (Oconee), Greensboro (m)
7. Reynolds Plantation (National), Greensboro (m)
8. Barnsley Gardens Resort (The General), Adairsville (m)
9. Legends Club at Chateau Elan, Braselton (m)
10. Sea Island GC (Plantation), St. Simons Island (c)
Rankings courtesy of www.golfweeksbest.com.