Secrets that all dog owners need to know

Editor Rutledge News 0 Comments

Rutledge News By Carol Altznauer Cherokee Rose Ranch, the well-kept secret that all dog owners need to know about. Located off of Brownwood Road on Knight Road in Rutledge is a little gravel driveway that winds around until you reach the end, where Steve and Cindy Shell reside with their little haven of animals that they love and care for on a daily basis. Your first hint that this is a ranch of plenty is the goats that reside on the right side of the driveway and often stroll to …

Huckleberry Finn-themed birthday water park!

Editor Buckhead News 0 Comments

Buckhead News By Linda Lovett Editor’s Note:  Buckhead News is written by Linda Lovett this week in place of Betty Moore’s news. It’s summertime on Lake Oconee. Two young brothers are celebrating their birthdays. Whatever shall their grandparents, Linda and Jason Lovett give them? How about a Huckleberry Finn water park? Last Saturday, July 13 Cooper Smallwood celebrated his ninth birthday along with his brother Cade Smallwood who turned five. The event was held at the home of their great grandmother Hallie Wood Hickman on Wood Road in Morgan County. …

Rutledge’s new front door

Rutledge News By Frankie Beers Welcome! If you haven’t taken a trip to Rutledge lately you’re missing out. We have a new “front” door– the new mural at the train depot taking you back to a simpler life, when passenger trains were the norm in a small Southern town like Rutledge. Members of the Rutledge Garden Club support the promotion of Rutledge and have funded the different murals around town. Garden Club member Cindy Ferguson suggested to the club that a mural for the train depot was needed to welcome …

Ladies hold patriotic tourney

Editor Madison News 0 Comments

Madison News By Monaray Powers The Ladies Golf Association at The Creek at Hard Labor held their patriotic Golf Tournament Tuesday, June. 25. A very interesting format using red, white, blue and gold tee boxes was used. All players dressed in Patriotic colors. Winners were Flight 1: first place Irene Paul and Gerald Cathey and second place Rosie and John Coleman; Flight 2: first place Mary and Bob Lawton and second place Betsy and Sandy Morehouse; Flight 3: Linda Horton and Susanne Perkerson and second place Gaylene Campbell and Jean …

Weather seems to be hot topic of conversation today

Editor Sugar Creek News 0 Comments

Sugar Creek News By Mae Buice I think I heard the weather report that we were going to have more rain. So what else is new? Have you ever known a summer this wet for this long? I don’t think I have. Seems the weather is the favorite topic of conversation these days. Any day the Lord gives us is a day to be thankful for, rain or shine. We had an early deadline last week, and I don’t have an excuse for not having an article except that I …

So many birthdays on and around the Fourth of July

Buckhead News By Betty Moore Happy birthday to Gail Wade! Her birthday was July 3. Her family celebrated with her at her home. Then on July 4 they were all there to celebrate the festivities at the fire department. They had an enjoyable time and so did Gail! Gail Wade’s sisters carried her to Wolf Mountain to celebrate her birthday. Then she and John spent the night with Susan and Jack Johnston. We have some more birthdays. Pat had one on July 5. Tammy had one on July 6. Little …

Helianthus annus blooms bright

Rutledge News By Nicole Tilde The Sunflower Farm Festival scheduled for this weekend has me thinking about flowers and their myths and meanings. Why were the Greeks so melodramatic with that old story of Clytie, the young girl who turned into a sunflower while swooning over Apollo? What a sad story for such a happy flower. The sunflower, also known as Helianthus annus, with her bright yellow east facing petals, has always seemed like a symbol of happiness to me, not sorrow as in Clytie’s story. But in Greek legends …

Enjoy barbecue and fireworks tonight

Buckhead News By Betty Moore Don’t forget the chicken barbecue on July 4th at the Buckhead fire department. It will be a half chicken, slaw, bread, chips, tea and a dessert. It will be served from 6 to 8 p.m. There will be raffles and games for all plus live music. Tickets for the barbecue will be $8 each. There will be fireworks at dark. Y’all come! I was sorry to see Imogene Martin’s death in the paper. I send my sympathy to the family. When I was about 10 …

Jackson Bailey: Simple man with a big vision

Rutledge News By Joan Ekstrom There is a local talent you should know, if you haven’t already heard about him, you may have seen his work. If you have ever crossed the Railroad tracks coming into downtown Rutledge and looked to your right, you have seen his work, The City of Rutledge Seal. Jackson Bailey designed this Seal for the city and it can be seen on the mural on what is now the location of Ele ‘n Honey. But there is much more to know about this dynamic individual. …

There’s a Redd House over yonder, that’s where the seniors eat

Editor Sugar Creek News 0 Comments

Sugar Creek News By Mae Buice Summer is here, and I have lost most of it. All I can think of, I’ll be wearing winter clothes before I get to really wear summer things, but hopefully all this will soon be taken care of and I can even wear shoes again. Didn’t get to attend church this weekend… had a really bad case of that “crud” I get periodically. I feel a little better today (Monday) so I’ll tell you how I spent my Sunday this week. It was “Bill …