Deer hunt is food for the soul

Editor Rutledge News Leave a Comment

By Tim Ferguson Autumn, what a great time of year. The air is crisp and clean, humidity and temperatures are down, leaves are beginning to change colors, and it’s football season. Oct. 19, another beautiful morning, was met with the sound of distant gunfire signaling the beginning firearm deer hunting season. The season lasts until sunset on Jan.1. I spent the first 36 years of my life living in the suburbs of Atlanta. In order to do any kind of hunting, we had to drive long distances away from the …

Congratulations to newlyweds Cody and Kandice

Editor Sugar Creek News Leave a Comment

By Mae Buice, Columnist Where did October go? Can’t believe how the time passes as you get older. It seems only yesterday it was beginning of summer. Now fall is here and it will be November the next time I write. Weather is not too much to brag about today, but we are here to enjoy whatever the Lord decides for us in our daily walk with Him. How much can you say about a few verses in Psalm 13? Butch brought a good message on Sunday. “How long? How …

Prince Avenue Baptist celebrates forty years with Pastor Ricketts

Editor Buckhead News Leave a Comment

By Betty Moore, Columnist I learned that Earl Smith is in a nursing home at Franklin. He seems to enjoy it and has made good friends with another man. They are thinking about putting him in the same room. Billy and Donna Hinesley who lived at the Smith’s house have moved in temporarily with some of his family until an apartment comes available down here. They are hoping that it won’t be long. Buckhead Baptist had their Fall Festival on October 30. Dot Saffold has done a wonderful job …

Sympathy to the family of Connie Bryant

By Betty Moore I send my sympathy to the family of Connie Bryant. My girls went to Rutledge Academy with Connie. She was a cute young girl. Linda rode to ballgames with Connie and her mother Joy. After high school she studied to become a nurse. She worked for St. Mary’s Home Health Care. She married Chuck Gulley and had one son C. J. Gulley. I was told that Connie had a beautiful voice and used to sing in the choir at the Buckhead Baptist Church. At times she sang …

Rutledge Hardware is one of Rutledge’s “best-kept secrets”

By Joan Ekstrom Tucked away inside a hardware store from a by-gone era is one of the town of Rutledge’s best kept secrets. Built in 1891, Rutledge Hardware stands as a testament to time. A time that perhaps moved a little slower, a time when handmade items were the standard and a thing well-made could last generations. Approaching on Fairplay Street, as you cross the railroad tracks, look to your right and you may see Paul Jones, owner of ye olde hardware store. Herbs, vegetables and flowers rotate by season …

On Hebrews’ “faith chapter”

By Mae Buice Here I am after 3 p.m. on news day and this pea brain of mine is not concentrating. I guess I have so much running through my mind, but will try to “git ‘er done.” Seems we may be on our way to colder days. I love all seasons, but as I get older I seem to not favor the winter months so much. Beautiful weekend in and around the area, services were good on Sunday as Butch brought a great message from Hebrews 11:6. Called the …

Bam! Anna Gronholm bags her first deer Sunday afternoon at the Moores’

By Betty Moore Here it is harvest time. Many festivals have been set. Already many Christmas decorations are out in many places. It’s hard to believe and to top it all; our government is about to shut down. What in the world is going to happen? So many people go about their merry way as if all is all right with the world. I believe that we need to stop and think and seek God no matter what the financial state of the country. I was happy to learn that …

Celebrating the church’s leader

Fall Festival Sugar Creek Baptist Church, Saturday, Oct. 19, 5-8 p.m. 1000 Sugar Creek Church Road, Madison. Too many activities to name them all: cake walks for adults and children, face painting, popcorn, hair “fixin’,” funnel cakes, hay rides, music, games, just to name a few. By Mae Buice Pretty squash, punkins’, changing leaves, cool breezes, oh, and the falling leaves, just a few things to remind us that fall is here. Don’t you just love to rake leaves? Sunday was a great day for our congregation. It being Pastor Appreciation Day and …

Sugar Creek Fall Festival set for Oct. 19

Fall Festival at Sugar Creek Baptist Church Oct. 19, 1000 Sugar Creek Church Road, Madison, 5-8 p.m. Too many activities to name them all: cake walks for adults and children, face painting, popcorn, hair “fixin,” funnel cakes, hay rides, music, games By Mae Buice Did everyone get wonderful, refreshing showers on Sunday night? Just completed a perfect weekend. All services were good with a few out for one reason or another, but the church house was warm with spiritual preaching from Isaiah 53, with the message of how much God loves …

The Creek: Golf course is the crown jewel of Rutledge

By Tim Ferguson Whenever I venture outside Morgan County and tell people I’m from Rutledge, the most common response I get is: “Oh, that’s where Hard Labor Creek State Park is. I’ve played the beautiful golf course there.” That beautiful golf course is The Creek at Hard Labor Creek State Park, a tremendous asset to Rutledge. Thousands of people come to play the course year-round, many coming from metro Atlanta and throughout the southeast. Their busiest time of the year is Masters week, when golfers come from all over the …

Dean Strange coming home!

By Betty Moore Praise God! Dean Strange is coming home on Tuesday of this week! God has brought him a long way and he has yet a long way to go. But he has progressed enough to stand up and take one step or two with the walker! All of this is a miracle after he was so extremely sick! Thanks to all of you that prayed and were so sweet to the family. Please continue to pray for them. Dean is married to the former Cathy Lawrence. She happens …

Silent soldiers: Old chimneys stand guard to history

By Nancy Darby I see them everywhere, so often it sometimes doesn’t even register that I am seeing our history flash before my eyes. A lone chimney, hiding in the woods or maybe in the middle of field. A lone sentinel of times past. But each one with their own story. Similar to a cemetery, these markers of time hold monument to a house, a home, a family. Many of the lonesome chimneys date back to the Civil War when Sherman burned his way to the sea. I can’t even …

Brother Butch sermonizes on compromise

By Mae Buice As I said before, the weather has been absolutely beautiful, nice sleeping weather, but what follows? Oh, I so hope this is not a bad, icy, cold winter. But let’s enjoy the “nice” while it’s here. I always enjoy our worship services. As always the choir special was good along with the specials, then from Genesis 6:1-8 Butch talked to us about the results of compromise, where bigotry and other factors fit in with our lives. On Sunday night, and I love these informal services, he preached from …

Swords United Methodist Church invites you to their Homecoming on Sunday

By Betty Moore The Swords Community Church (Methodist) will hold homecoming Sunday, Oct. 6, at 11 a.m. Pastor Anthony Gavalas will conduct the service. The Rev. Thomas Ross will be guest speaker. Rev. Ross is a native of Madison. His parents and brother still live here. The Rev. Ross graduated in 2006 from Piedmont College earning his BA degree in Religion and Philosophy and a minor in Mass Communications. Then he went to the Erskine Theological Seminary in 2010 to continue his call to the ministry. He served Madison First …

Wanda Sue returns to Rutledge to compete in Scarecrow Contest

Rutledge Annual Fall Yard Sale Saturday, Oct. 5, in the city park, starting at 8 a.m. and running until 4 p.m. or until you have sold out. Contact The Caboose for a space: 706-557-9021. By Carol Altznauer Wanda Sue, last year’s winner of the October Scarecrow Contest, will be returning to Rutledge soon. She is a creation of the Rutledge Garden Club, AKA “The Dirt Girls.” She was dressed in some of our finest fashions and wore our jewels with pride. She is only in Rutledge the month of October as …

Prayers for the family of Almedia Smith

By Betty Moore Our community was shocked on Saturday afternoon to learn of the sudden death of Almedia Smith. She had been in ill health for many months. I don’t have a lot of information. I know that Billy Hinesley was her son who lived with her and her husband Earl Smith along with Billy’s wife Donna. Wade Hinesley was her son who lives at Monticello. She had a brother and several sisters. Her funeral was Tuesday at 11 a.m. with interment at the Popular Springs Baptist Church at Bishop. …

It’s the beginning of fall and “the weather could not be more perfect”

Life Celebrations Birthdays Ramsey Simmons, Becky Simmons, Vicky Vanwhy, Billy Jo Arnold, William Owensby, Kim Johnson and Kaylee Steward Anniversary Marc and Jodi Ball By Mae Buice Do we ever get bored discussing the weather? Yesterday, Sunday, was the first day of fall and the weather could not be more perfect. Good sleeping weather. Love it. The worship service was good following  good congregation singing and the choir with two specials. Shannon and I both sang unexpected specials, requested by our pastor. Butch took his morning message from Ezekiel 2 and …

The Co-Op: Home to the Rutledge Pickers

By Tim Ferguson You have GOT to go to the Co-Op in Rutledge. Go over the railroad tracks, pull up to the famous stop barrel and look to your right, then look to your left, then look right again and you’ll see the Co-Op in an old brick building with lots of plants and trees on the sidewalk out front. After looking once again for traffic and pedestrians, proceed and find a parking space, then head on in to discover the secrets inside the building. The Co-Op gets its name …

Training children in the “old-fashioned ways”

By Mae Buice I love changing of the seasons. We are never bored with the Southern way of doing things. Just think, in a few weeks God’s paintbrush will be working double time, hitting every leaf and most of them different colors. What a wondrous Lord we do serve. And He especially pays attention to all our beautiful and different trees in Georgia. A lot of toes were stepped on with Butch’s sermon on Sunday, but we need that. Some may get offended but I like to be reminded when …

Ladies Spenzalot, Leisure and Sweet Pea host event

By Betty Moore The Belles of Buckhead enjoyed lunch at the Cracker Barrel recently. The hostesses were Lady Spenzalot, Lady Leisure, and Lady Sweet Pea. Several also had a farewell with Peggy Armour before she moved to Arizona. Gene and Claire Smith celebrated their 55th wedding anniversary recently. God blessed them with four children, 13 grandchildren, and two great grandchildren. They are so thanksful! Dennis and Julie Godbee and Dink and Sandra Dominey had a nice camping trip last week. Benny Smith has a birthday on September 20th. Happy birthday …