Morgan County High School Homecoming 2017

Jesse Walker Community, Featured, News 0 Comments

By Tia Lynn Ivey managing editor The students of Morgan County High School celebrated Homecoming last week, with a jam-packed schedule of games, competitions, dress-up days, projects, a parade, a powder-puff football match, and ample amounts of school spirit. This year’s pep-rally featured a surprise flash-mob, comprised of all teachers, dancing to Michael Jackson’s Thriller as the crowd of students went wild! Homecoming Week culminated with the most anticipated football game of the season, at which our Bulldogs reigned supreme over opponents from Monroe Area. The game drew a record …

Yard Sale May 27 and 28 complete with hot dogs

Editor Buckhead News 0 Comments

On Monday of last week my husband and I, along with Dennis and Julie Godbee, went to the restaurant in Buckhead at lunch. We found out that it would be free. We went to get there before lunch because we thought that a crowd might be there. We got to go right in. There was a crowd already there but there must have been 10 or 12 ladies at t he door and on up to the food bar. We were told to go on to a table that they …

The power of God has the strength to sustain us

Editor Sugar Creek News 0 Comments

What a joy it is to say hello to each of you today; it’s a beautiful day, not windy and cool, just right enough to enjoy and I trust that each of you had a great weekend and the beginning of one of my favorite months of the year. A good time in church, some joy and some sorrow, but still happy to be in God’s house as Butch brought his message to us. He talked to us from Ephesians 4:17-24, “Breaking Sin’s Grip”. Today it seems as if sin …

Cold now but soon we’ll be complaining about the heat

I was right it is just down right cold this morning and I think there’s more to come but before we know it some will be complaining about the heat. Last week was so nice and James really did get a lot of cleaning up outside, even cut a tree or two down and got our little garden spot ready to plant. He does love to work outside and it does keep this 85-year-old man going. Such a good crowd at church and with several families of visitors. Love to …

As we go into the Easter season, remember the reason

Our days are so beautiful and the flowers are so pretty, I keep asking myself when will this end?  And I think it will.   I think we’ll at least get some more cold weather, but anyhow it’s been so good. Always I look forward to the sermons that come from Butch’s Mouth and Sunday I double enjoyed it coming from Mark 9 and entitling his message “Some Identity Please.”   This question was asked, “Is He worthy?” and my answer is yes always make sure you know whom you serve. Here we …

Ah spring! Loving the budding trees, blooming daffodils

The time change came. The daffodils are blooming. The Bradford pear trees are blooming up the road from us and down the road. I was talking to someone about how winter temporarily left us. Many years about the time of Easter there was a rather cold spell. I have noticed that the trees are budding. Some people might plant their gardens. We haven’t had a garden in several years but if we were in the notion of having one we were not going to put it in this soon. There …

Lots of “action” happening in April, festivals, fund raisers and more

What a beautiful day this Monday is, as was yesterday, the Lord’s Day. Is spring close by or do you think more winter is to come?  I think we will have a little more cold weather. James has the fever. He’s really working in our yards and he does enjoy it so much; hard to believe he’ll soon be 86. Thankful for a good day on Sunday with a good message and a good crowd. Our Sunday school attendance was back up and that pleases me; so good to see …

Cantata on Palm Sunday at the Buckhead Baptist Church

Edna Smith’s brother, Johnny Tanner had a stroke. He lives in Texas. I hope that he can get rehab and get better soon as possible. Lilla Jo Evans’ cousin died. She was Louise Cower. I was sorry to hear about that, Lilla Jo. Miriam Foster and Barbara Tyson went to Augusta to visit their cousin Frances Wingfield. The Buckhead Baptist Church will have their cantata on Psalm Sunday. They will have a fun event on Saturday night. They will have donuts to eat. They are to have a contest to …

Lots of “action” happening in April, festivals, fundraisers and more

Hey, Happy Leap Year Day to you! How many of you have a birthday on February 29th? Nice day here today, nippy but not cold and the sun is shining. After a great weekend I can truly say I’m thankful to be alive on this beautiful day. I woke up and I can walk across the floor without help. I always think of those who cannot do this and then I realize just how much I have to be thankful for. I can even say that not a lot of …

Sugar Creek Baptist will sponsor a gospel singing

A little rainy and dreary here this Monday morning, but hey, aren’t we happy to still be alive with all that’s going on in the world today, we never know what tomorrow will bring. We had a warm time in our service on Sunday, even with several families out of town with sick ones and deaths, or just for pleasure we still had a great meeting.   Butch brought his message from John 18: 31-38, “How do we know the truth?”   How do we know? Who is not telling the truth?  …

Always the smell of fresh soil when the planting a garden

In talking with different people we said that the year is flying so fast. We are almost into March. People prepare some land to get ready to plant a garden. Some tomato plants will be in the ground. Different seed are planted in that beautiful land. Some get ready to have a flower garden. It’s got to be fun to get out and walk in the soft, freshly plowed soil without shoes. When I was a small girl daddy let me walk behind him when he plowed. Of course our …

Remembering Jim Roberts

We send our sympathy to the family of Jim Roberts. Jim was the husband of the former Mary Ann Jacobs. Jim and Mary Ann had been married for 61 ½ years. They had lived in the same house for 50 years in Los Gatos, California. Their family of four children was at Jim’s bedside when he passed away. Mary Ann had already moved to a personal care home. Mary Ann Jacobs Roberts was born and reared in Buckhead. She attended the Buckhead School until she needed to go to high …

Nothing especially ‘Super’ about the ‘Super Bowl’

Every one is talking about the Super Bowl! Why do they call it the “Super Bowl”?   Of course I’m not a big football fan but I didn’t see anything especially super and I know I will get a lot of boo’s from that, but most of all I feel for my Carolina family that was let down; and to think the Falcons Is the only team that beat this team. Oh well, enough of that. What beautiful cold weather we are having now this is just a little touch of what winter should …

Happy Birthday Haillie Hickman!

I wish a special happy birthday to Hallie Hickman on February 11. She and I have been friends for over 50 years. We have been to their house many times when her husband was living. There have been many other good times. The people that have know her for many years always called her Eleanor. Her name is Hallie Eleanor, I suppose. Either way she is a great friend. I have several other birthdays. Janice Lankford has a birthday on February 19. Olivia Denning also has a birthday on February …

Thankful to Vote

It was hard to get news at Buckhead today! I don’t give up but I sure put in some effort. That is okay we are still here. Dennis and Julie Godbee went out to eat with his family on Friday night to celebrate Dennis’ birthday on January 30. Dennis and Julie went out to eat with Betty and Macon Moore on Saturday. Happy birthday to you Dennis! Robin Griffin has gone back home to Hawaii after coming to attend her granddaddy’s funeral. Oscar Strange passed away recently. We send our …

Sickness this time of year

Did each of you survive the “great snow storm of 2016?” I know there are areas that did get heavy snow but it almost skipped over us completely and completely. I would love to have a little snow but I don’t want the ice that usually comes with it. I don’t have much to write about as I’m still not well and was not able to attend church on Sunday and how I miss that. But I have heard a little that was going on around about. I heard we …

On the lookout for black ice

I didn’t have any news last week. I did not have much news to write about. I will mention our small amount of snow. It melted quickly. We always have to look out for black ice. That is very dangerous. One can slip before they know it. I have seen people try to slip on purpose. One wrong slip and you could wreck very dangerous. We sent our sympathy thoughts to the Oscar Strange family. A member of hid family Dean was married to Cathy Lawrence who is my great …

Starting off a new year

Happy New Year to each of my readers. To tell the truth, I don’t know if I have written this year or not. This one started off rough with me and some health problems, and I’ve had so many prayers going up for me, and I do have confidence. Winter has arrived! Some really cold days, therefore I have not been able to be out, even to attend church. I think I missed three Sunday’s and so happy to be back these last two weeks. We’ve had a lot of …

Where Did 2015 Go?

I trust that you all had a great Christmas spent with your loved ones and now, almost 2016, looking forward to the New Year and what it might bring. I ask myself, “where did 2015 go?” I’m also asking when are we having “winter”. I don’t have too much to say this week but felt like I needed to write a little. I didn’t get to attend church services today and I have been miserable and miserable I do not like. I heard we have several of our congregation out …

‘Why can’t every day be like Christmas?’

Why can’t every day be like Christmas?   It has been a wonderful weekend in the Buice household filled with love and blessings as my family gathered for our family Christmas. Our house was full to the brim and enjoyed every minute of it. I want to thank each member of our family for being here and making this a perfect kind of Christmas celebration with our Lord in the middle of it all.   Such love and joy AND FOOD, was freely flowing. That all began on Friday night then comes Sunday …