Stay safe and celebrate Jesus

Editor Buckhead News 0 Comments

At this time of the year most churches are having special programs for the season. There is excitement as each church has the program. Buckhead Baptist is having on Christmas Eve a candlelight service at 6 p.m. along with communion. Their AWANA is not to be held for a few weeks. Lake Oconee Baptist is having communion and a special service on Christmas Eve. These services at each church are meaningful. Going to a service helps one to be able to understand and feel so blessed for the celebration of …

Holiday Beauty and Love

Editor Rutledge News 0 Comments

Out here in Rutledge this year we were on the Chamber Tour of Homes, featuring the Rutledge Methodist Church, the Medford’s log cabin and Whistlin Dixie Farm, home of Jo Ellen and John Ardz. I want to say a big thank you for those folks.Having your home spruced up, cleaned up and decorated to the nines is a big commitment.  Also a thank you needs to go out to all the  to the volunteers who helped to make it happen.. Way to go Rutledge Garden Club.! Everthing looked lovely. Methodist …

‘He will give you what you need when it is needed’

Editor Sugar Creek News 0 Comments

Not a beautiful day, drizzly, but how can we complain when the weather has been so beautiful especially for December. I thank you Lord for the weather changes you send us, and I thank you for today.. If my Mama was still living we would be celebrating her birthday today……I miss her every day as do so many of you my age that have lost your loving parents. Sunday was a beautiful day…..a good crowd present to hear the beautiful sermon as Butch took his message from Luke 2…..” A …

Upcoming Christmas Celebration

Families are getting ready for Christmas. Some are having family reunions. Others are getting ready to travel to see family out-of-town. Children are excited because Santa is coming. My family used to come at Christmas, the brothers and sisters when their children were small. They waited until after their children had seen what they were getting for Christmas from that fat jolly man St. Nick. They would all get there anywhere from mid-morning until just before lunch. I had one sister that was a “big” talker. She took up nearly …

‘Greatness is serving the lost’

Pearl Harbor Day today, Monday, also today makes 59 years I’ve been married to this old guy I live with. Where did the time go? Beautiful day today, not a typical December day and thankful for it. Sunday was also a blessed and beautiful day, with a nice crowd. Butch took his message from Mark 2:13-17, “A Scandal”. We all know hypocrites, especially those claiming to be spiritual. Jesus left and found those that were sick or insane. Mark wrote to let us know how He could be depended on. …

Upcoming Christmas Celebrations

Buckhead Baptist Church will have their Christmas program December 13 at 6 p.m. bring a $5 gift to exchange. Bring finger food. They will have a candlelight service on Christmas Eve. Christie White came to her grandmother’s house on Thanksgiving Day. Her grandmother made some of her delicious dressing. It was delightful. George and Laura Lohr went to Colorado for Thanksgiving. They visited with their daughter Elizabeth and family. Reid and Gwen Alliston had family for Thanksgiving. There were about 20 there. The Lake Oconee Baptist Chapel had Brotherhood December …

A Portrait of Greatness

Oh my goodness by the time you read this we will already be into December and Christmas just around the corner. I’m still asking “where did this year go?” And what a beautiful weekend this has been for Thanksgiving to share and enjoy our loved ones and eat all that delicious food or that’s the way it was here at our house, a full weekend and I am so thankful that all that came surely enjoyed our family fellowship. Sunday also was warm and beautiful inside with a heart touching …

Hollerin’ Holidays

Here’s hoping that you all had a great Thanksgiving. The Moore family did have a nice time. The family was together and Dennis and Julie Godbee ate with us. Johnny, Donna and Jacob Johnson from Louisiana came to see Chuck and Miriam Foster for Thanksgiving. We have two birthdays Emily Brown has birthday on December 4. Leslie has a birthday on December 4 also. Happy birthday to you both. Both Lake Oconee Baptist and Buckhead Baptist went to the lighting of the Buckhead tree. Both churches sang. There was a …

Jan and Bill Manos

Editor Madison News 0 Comments

Jan and Bill Manos will who live on Academy Street will celebrate their 25th wedding anniversary on Thursday, Nov. 19. They plan an extensive celebrating spending the night at the James Madison Inn and dining at Town 220. After breakfast they will walk home where they will join their two dogs.

So glad to be back, and with a new pacemaker!

Here I am, back again. Two weeks ago I had a pacemaker put in. It was two surgeries in one. They put in a backup pacemaker going through my groin. When the real pacemaker was in place, they removed the backup. I was awake and talking to them the whole time. When it hurt I told them. It wasn’t bad at all. It was just different. I thank God for it all. Hallie Hickman had a housewarming on last Saturday. Her new home is attached to her son’s house on …

Always give with the right attitude of what you can

I don’t know what happened last week Patrick said he did not get my news so some of this will flow over from last week. I’m so tired of discussing the weather so I won’t do that this week. I hope all my readers had a great week and I missed being with you last week. But I have a good excuse. I had a last minute chance to go see my three-month-old great grandson and I could not turn down this opportunity as I had not met him and …

Chilly but that sun makes up for it

Wow! Where does the months go? Here we are, already over half of October gone. I guess times does fly when you get old like me but the weather has been so nice and comfortable lately. Chilly but that sun makes up for it. Enjoyed our Sunday School and worship service on Sunday, I always do. I love my church and I love my Lord. I would love to see our churches packed with believing true Christians again. I wonder sometimes what our future holds. Before I begin, please stop …

Anyway, Scott likes to have picnics

The Buckhead Baptist Church will have a Fall Festival on October 28 at 6pm. You are all invited. Why not get someone to come with you for a good time? It’s free!there will be hot dogs, chili and as a matter of fact, a chili cookout, games for children, a big hay ride, a cake walk and cold drinks. Adults are invited too! It sounds like this will be a great time! This event will be on a Wednesday. Usually, AWANA is on Wednesday. The youth have a great time …

To sing from the soul is like catching a glimpse of a heaven here below

Would you just look out at that beautiful sunshiney day. Of course by the time you read this it may be raining again. Our weather is so unpredictable but I’m just so thankful we do have both the rains and the sunshine. Only God can do that for us. We had a good time on Sunday. With school being out we had some out of town for a family time together but it was still so good to be in the house of God. Before the worship service, we observed Pastor Appreciation …

Amused over the typos

My husband, Macon Moore Jr., was amused over the typos in my column last week. He was named Malcom. Marian’s another reader commented that she didn’t know he had changed his name. Well, Monaray is the only one that can read my writing.. She wasn’t there last week. Buckhead Baptist Church will have their Fall Festival on October 28. There will be a fun time. On October 17 there will be a work day 8-12 o’clock. They want to get everything cleaned up with winter coming. Lake Oconee Baptist Church …

Not too bad for a Lord’s day

It’s raining again. Thank you Lord, we’ve enjoy the showers so much but now we are all ready to see a little sunshine and God bless all those that have had very severe weather and flooding. Not too bad for a Lord’s day on Sunday. A good day to stay in and nap. In fact we’ve had a lot of those lately. Missed writing last week. Did not have much news so I’ll try to make up for it this week. Not too much going on with the weather being …

That’s how clothes were washed

Frida White’s cousin, John Les Townley won the NASCAR truck race over the weekend. He was in Las Vegas. He is an Oconee County man. His helper is Jeff Hood. The Townley’s own Zaxby’s. Ron and Margie Denny live in South Carolina. They had trouble with water. The storm has gone, but they will have to get their property back in good shape again. Margie is the daughter of the Ronnie Smith and Edna Smith. There were three grandchildren with them during the storm. We have several birthdays. Gwen Alliston …

Not much going on this week of interest

I know most of you are enjoying this little change in our weather pattern. And it does feel good. James is so cold natured since his open heart surgery that he’s even turned on the heat a couple of times. I’m not ready for that yet. A good day on Sunday with a good crowd and visitors. “Ten words to describe God.” Butch’s message taken from Exodux 20: 3-17. Yes, what could be more powerful than to study the Ten Commandments? Don’t miss out on the mercies of God. He …

My husband and I will be married for 62 years

The congregation at Lake Oconee Baptist Chapel was pleased with their high attendance Sunday, Sept. 20. They had 93 there. Their music director was out sick and none of his family came. People worked hard and prayed for the attendance. So many of you came for this Sunday. If you were there as a visitor why not go back for more visits and on down the road perhaps God will lead you as a member one day. I was told how the pastor and his wife are so loving to …

My phone was not in service this morning

I will use last week’s news. It is hard to get news. My phone was not in service this morning so I had to get my news in the afternoon late. Watch for this notice! September 20 is high attendance day at Lake Oconee Baptist Chapel. Why not make every effort to be there. You will see some of your friends that you might not have seen in a while. Pacey Griffith broke her arm. She is nine years old. Pacey Griffith had a birthday on September 12. Benny Smith …