Bratcher, Smith tops in Rutledge election

Editor Front Page Leave a Comment

By Nick Nunn, Staff Writer

Unofficial results from the Morgan County Elections and Registration Office name James R. Bratcher, Timothy James Smith and Bruce Altznauer as the winners for Rutledges’ municipal elections.

Bratcher, running for the office of Mayor of Rutledge, received 115 votes, approximately 65 percent of the total votes, leaving only 63 votes, around 35 percent, for his opponent Joellen Artz.

A total of 178 voters cast their ballot for Rutledge’s mayoral race.

“I feel great,” said Bratcher on Tuesday night. “I just want to thank the voters. I think that the citizens of Rutledge have spoken.”

Smith overcame his opponent, Bill Spann, with approximately 58 percent of the total votes in the race for the Rutledge City Council’s Post 1 position.

Spann, incumbent, received only 72 votes to Smith’s 101 votes.

“It’s a pretty neat experience,” said Smith after the announcement of the unofficial results Tuesday night.

Smith described his feeling as “bittersweet” and expressed his respect for both Spann and Artz.

He also said that he is looking forward to “talking with Mr. Bratcher and the other city council members” in order to begin planning for growth due to Baxter.

“That is our big item on the list,” said Smith. Bruce Altznauer ran unopposed for Post 3 on Rutledge’s City Council and received 137 of a total of 138 votes cast.

For all three races, 41.5 percent of registered voters – 178 of 429 – cast their ballots for the Rutledge municipal elections.

Leave a Reply