Camp Twin Lakes Bike Ride

Editor News Leave a Comment

By Tia Lynn Lecorchick managing editor

Camp Twin Lakes, a camp for disabled children in Rutledge, hosted the annual Spin for Kids, a cycling fundraiser Oct. 19, raising about $370,000 for the camp. There were several route options, ranging from five miles to 100 miles. Camp Twin Lakes also featured a Family Fun Day in conjunction with the Spin for Kids cycling fundraiser, so community members who aren’t interested in riding bikes could come out to grounds and see the camp and participate in family-friendly activities. Paige Smith, program manager at Rutledge, is looking forward to the event. “It’s a lot of fun and raises a lot of money for Camp Twin Lakes every year,” said Smith. “It just gets our name out and helps us,” said Smith. “That’s the biggest reason we have it out here, so the community can know and understand what we do and help these kids who deserve as much of a camp experience as any other typical child.” Smith estimated that about 900 riders cycled through the Camp Twin Lakes landscape for charity. The minimum amount raised for each rider must be at least $100 per rider. The registration fee is now $45 for people who want to join. The total amount raised has not been released yet. “It definitely adds up,” said Smith. According to Smith, the ultimate goal is to fund each camper’s tuition. “We subsidize 80 percent of each camper’s cost to come to camp,” said Smith. “The other 20 percent is funded through partners of Camp Twin Lakes. They are all organizations that serve children with disabilities and life challenges.” According to Smith, Camp Twin Lakes is all giving kids the best childhood memories they can. “Camp Twin Lakes gives them the opportunity to just be kids. They build that relationship together and sense of community with others who are like them. They are just one kid like everyone else. They aren’t the one kid at school with cancer or in a wheelchair. Being together gives them more independence and confidence.” To find out more information visit: spinforkids.org and camptwinlakes.org.

Leave a Reply