Fire destroys Peppers Road residence

Staff Written Featured, News

By Tia Lynn Ivey

managing editor

A Bostwick house on Peppers Road went up in flames last week, resulting in a total loss. The house belongs to Lenita Franklin, a beloved community member known for her generosity and volunteerism. 

According to Fire Chief Jeff Stone, the house was almost fully engulfed when firefighters arrived as they scrambled to put the fire out. 

“Our guys moved fast once they got there,” said Stone. The fire was extinguished by 28 Morgan County firefighters and seven firefighters from Walton County. According to Stone, the fire was caused by an electrical short circuit.

A GoFundMe has been organized for Franklin and her family. by a friend, Anne Ballard.  

“If you haven’t heard already, we want to share some unfortunate news with you all.  Our Dear Friend Lenita Franklin’s house has burned and is not restorable,” wrote Ballard. “She lost her home and all of her belongings. We are asking all of you who are able to please, please donate to the Franklin Rebuild Fund.”

As of press time on Tuesday, Nov. 3, $1,995 has been raised for for Franklin. The goal is set for $100,000. To donate, visit: www.gofundme.com/f/rebuild-lenita-franklin-amp-family.

“This young lady along with her husband who is now deceased has fed thousands, whether it was at her home or at another facility,” wrote Ballard.  “This is an urgent outreach request so please consider supporting Lenita.  We wouldn’t have submitted this ‘Go Fund Me’ page, if it were not extremely necessary. Therefore, listen to your heart and if it tells you to support this cause, whatsoever you are willing to donate will be greatly appreciated.”

Stone warned the public to be careful and watchful as the weather turns colder and the holidays approach. 

“We see a rise in fires this time of year,” said Stone, who noted accidental fires can often spark from the use of chimneys, heaters, and overloaded circuits. 

“Do not leave items cooking unattended or while away from the home.  Do not over load electrical outlets or surge protectors. Extension cords are for temporary use and should not be used for permanent sources,” urged Stone. “Also please be aware of your surroundings during the holiday shopping sprees and hustle and bustle as it tends to cause an increase for criminals and thieves to steal your packages. Be sure to have your chimneys checked and cleaned before using them at the beginning of each cold season.  We do not recommend the use of the  store bought flue cleaning burnable logs.  Please consult a chimney sweep.”

“People get busy and overwhelmed with the holiday festivities and can lose track of things. I caution everyone to be mindful and stay safe,” said Stone. 

Leave a Reply