May means Country Fair time

Editor Rutledge News Leave a Comment

When John and I moved to Rutledge over a decade ago we had a list of expectations about life in Morgan County versus life in the Atlanta area that we really looked forward to. We knew that the ad valorem tax on our cars would be lower and we wouldn’t need annual emission tests, there would be less traffic, we’d be able to see the stars at night and we would own horses on our mini-farm. While the horses never materialized we discovered a whole lot of other rural pleasures, …

Destin, Florida with my girls

Editor Sugar Creek News Leave a Comment

Missed being with you last week. I had the opportunity to spend a week in Destin, Florida with my girls. Who could turn down something like that? The weather was gorgeous. That was a great pre-Mother’s Day for me Sunday, it being Mother’s Day was a great day. It’s always  sad, especially is your mom is gone. Butch chose an old familiar passage from the Old Testament. He spoke to us from Proverbs 31, beginning with verse 10, telling us that a man who has  a woman he can trust and …

The pollen is really bad now

Editor Buckhead News Leave a Comment

We send our sympathy to the Charles White family in his death at Hartwell. He became sick and his caretaker got him to the hospital where he passed away. He is survived by two sons Marshall White from Canada and Charles White Sr. “Snip” from Hartwell. He has several grandchildren. Charles’ late wife Sara Miller has been dead for a number of years. He was buried at Sardis Baptist Church and this is where his funeral service was held. He was 93 years old. There were several from here that …

So I just had to keep on being a girl

May 10 is Mother’s Day. Families should be proud of their mother. The mother proudly brings the baby into the world. She lovely tends to the baby’s need from the time of birth until the child is older. There is no love like a mother’s love for her child. If you have a mother now, she would be so happy to have her family with her on this day! Let her know of your love for her. I lost my mother in 1975. I still miss her at times. I …

1955 MCHS class reunion

Editor Madison News Leave a Comment

The 1955 graduation class of Morgan County High School held their 60th class reunion Saturday, April 25 at Bonner’s Restaurant in Buckhead. Those attending were Irvin and Joyce Lowe, Frank Eaton, Kenneth and Martha Ann Carter, Bob and Barbara Bone, Charlotte and Henry Carson, John and Joann Caldwell, Otis and Harriett Nunnally, Patsy Baldwin, Margaret and Ed Fitzpatrick, Morgan Hollis and Chris, Rhuel and Patsy Edwards, Merry and Bill Faulkner, Shirley Self and Kay, Charles and Sue Bryan, Nannette Ebb, Robert and Betty Hilsman, Bobby and Beth Fears, Carolyn Wood, …

I pray there’s no rain in the forecast

Editor News, Sugar Creek News Leave a Comment

What a beautiful day we woke up to this Monday morning. I pray there’s no rain in the forecast for a few days. Thank you Lord, and also thank you for such a great Sunday. It is always good for me to spend almost half the day in my Lord’s house. I need this feeding. A a good feeding we do get from Butch’s sermons. After the opening songs, choir special and the specials of the day Butch opened his bible and spoke to us from Romans 15: 1-6. I don’t get too many …

Chicken barbecue this Saturday

I’m having a hard time getting started this Monday. I guess it’s time I realized there’s not much going on here. The weather is the main topic all around. We’ve certainly been blessed with the “April Showers” although they’re more like “April Storms.” I was so happy to see that sun shine today. It seems everyone is water-logged and some early gardens are washed away. I’m looking for sunny days ahead. I can’t say that Butch is preaching anymore. He’s supposed to keep his voice almost to a whisper but …

Tornado warning in Madison

Laura Jones’ mother, Agnes Reynolds, is in the hospital but is some better right now. Kay Smith’s brother at Ocilla died. I am so sorry to hear about that. I send my sympathy. Joe Bennett at Swords passed away. I send my sympathy to Georgia Smith and all the family. He was her father. Jay Moon is going to Macon this week with the F.F.A. Hubert Crisp is in Athens Regional Medical Center where she had open-heart surgery on Monday. She went through the operation well. I hope that you …

Bearden reunion held April 18

Editor Madison News Leave a Comment

Submitted by Mary Bearden Eaton: Some 40 family members of the late Samuel Nelson Bearden and Martha Jane (Mattie) Bearden, who lived many years in the Bethany Community, enjoyed a wonderful time together on Saturday, April 18, 2015, at Bonner’s Triple B Restaurant in Buckhead. Their children, all of whom were born in Dawson County and Morgan County, were remembered, all now deceased: Effie Bearden Gay, Charles Bearden, Estie Bearden Alford, Rubie Bearden Milam, Newton Bearden, Harvey Bearden, Robert Bearden and George Bearden. The first reunion was held in 1988 …

Buckhead city council beginning plans for July 4 barbecue

I send my sympathy to Edna Smith. Her brother-in-law passed away last week in Chattanooga. Edna went to the funeral as well as other family members. Larry Thomas had been ill for a while. Winnie Hollack is here with family. She is staying with Chuck and Miriam Foster. She is driving her friend Vivian Mishiler to Bradenton, Florida, where she is moving. Winnie is the daughter of the late Robert and Connie Bell Bearden. Her son Clayton would come to visit the Beardens who were his grandparents. Clayton came to …

May flowers?

Just a little drizzly rain this April day. Is this supposed to be April showers that bring on May flowers? Oh how I hope each of you had a Glorious Easter spent with your family and loved ones. We had a beautiful day and enjoyed Gayle and Susanne being with us at church and coming back for the rest of the day. I love my family and really missed all those that usually come each Easter. Had a delicious breakfast on Sunday morning made and served by our men. Thanks …

Grow old gracefully

Last week I stated that if you send $50 to Dr. David Jermaine that he would send the book, “A D” that will go along with the movie by that name that will play on Sunday nights at 7 p.m. As it came out the column had a typo saying that it was $.50. That was not right it was $50.00. Dr. John and Gail Wade were the Grand Marshals for “Old Buckhead Days.” They rode in a convertible and were honored to do so. “Old Buckhead Days” turned out …

Warmer days are on the way

Where did March go? Here we are, almost the first of April. 2015 is passing quickly, OR maybe as I grow older it just seems that way. Windy and chilly but warmer days are on the way and with it comes one of the best times of the year: Easter. That’s this coming Sunday. Where would we be if not for the crucifixion  and resurrection of our precious Lord and Savior. I hope you will remember the true meaning of Good Friday through Easter Sunday. Thank you Lord, for what …

You are invited to Old Buckhead Days

You are invited to “Old Buckhead Days” Saturday, April 4. You may participate in the 5k at 8:30 a.m. If you have not paid your $20 fee before time it will be $25 on Saturday. At 10 a.m. the parade begins at the Buckhead Baptist Church with old tractors or cars. The parade will end at the fire department. There you can find food, music and a good time. Why not join in the fun? For questions call Cheryl Saffold at 706-343-3339 or Robin Bone at 706-474-8223. Freida White spent …

Get your tractor, old car or whatever

Well, Old Buckhead Day is right before us! I hope that you are ready! There will be a 5K race at the usual place at 8:30 a.m. Get your shoes all ready. You can walk, run or however you want to do. Entrance fee is $20 until March 26. After that it is $25. April 4 is the date for the fun! There will be a parade at 10 a.m. Get your tractor, old car or whatever ready. It will begin at the Buckhead Baptist Church and will go to …

“The Midnight Praise” over at Sewell Methodist

Editor News, Sugar Creek News Leave a Comment

I’m not going to talk about the weather today. What a blessing to me, as Butch brought his message from one of my favorite scriptures. I was raised with this scripture and I raised my girls on the same. I love the Proverbs, especially the 22nd chapter and the 6th verse: “Attack on the Family.” It’s a very fitting title. “Train up a child in the way he should go.” Eighty percent of the time when you are not in church is because we “play Church.” Do you have a …

Buckhead News: Old Buckhead Days Coming Soon

George Lohr was in Athens Regional Medical Center recently. He is now at home. Patsy Harris has returned home after a trip to Illinois to visit her son John Urso and family. Major Urso is in Tactical Command. Dennis and Julie Godbee went out to eat recently with members of his family.Daren Godbee came to Dennis and Julie Godbee’s house to have supper. I talked to my friend in New Jersey. She has had heart trouble and has been in the hospital recently. She told me about a friend whose …

Sugar Creek News: Tickets available for Annual Chicken Barbecue

By Mae Buice, Columnist Today, Monday, has been a gorgeous day and I hope we will not have surprisingly ugly weather as we near first day of Spring. Did not get to attend church on Sunday but I hear it was good as usual. Ginny Bell told me that the Book Study on Jonah is doing better each week in attendance with 11 attending last Sunday. That’s great. I have not been able to attend yet, but hopefully soon. We had the opportunity to go to Fort Mill, South Carolina …

We’ll be complaining before summer is over

You know what? I’m not going to talk about the weather today. I just thank God, no snow, sleet or rain or low temperatures to begin this week. And next Friday, the 20th is the first day of Spring. I’m ready, how about you? I know we’ll be complaining before the Summer is over about the hot days. Enjoyed the message on Sunday morning.  Even with Butch “trying” to take care of his voice, he still was able to touch us with his sermon. He took his message from Mark 6: 1-6. …

The flowering pear trees

I send my most sincere sympathy to the family of Jo Ann Van Cleve. Her memorial service was held at Lake Oconee Baptist Chapel on Saturday. At the Lake Oconee Baptist Chapel they have a basket in which they add an egg each time someone gives $25 toward the Annie Armstrong Easter Offering. I never heard of this before but that is nice! I hope that the basket is full and overflowing. That will mean that there was a wonderful offering for the Lord’s work! Happy Birthday to Grace Doorenbos …