Old Buckhead Days is fast approching! April 5!

Editor Buckhead News Leave a Comment

By Betty Moore, Columnist Congratulations to Thomas and Leigh Ann Bell in being new grandparents. Their daughter Allison and her husband just announced the birth of their first child, a son. They live at Albany. Margaret Bell is a new great grandmother. Reid and Gwen Alliston are new great grandparents! Congratulations to you all! Edna Smith and Frieda Knight went to Eatonton Sunday to see Beatrice Smith and her husband Buddy. They also saw Carrie Harper at the nursing home. Get set! Day light savings time begins March 9! It …

I wish they would leave our time alone

Editor Sugar Creek News Leave a Comment

By Mae Buice, Columnist Wow, March already this year is ticking right on by and this coming week end we set our clocks to Daylight Savings Time. I wish they would leave our time alone. Let us get use to one or the other, especially old folks like me don’t like the changes so much. Oh, well. Today, Monday started out rainy but cleared up after just a little shower, now just partly cloudy out there. This has been a winter to remember. A nice crowd congregated on Sunday with …

Beautiful blooming daffodils give us hope for the spring

By Mac Buice, Columnist I can’t wait to see what is in store from Mother Nature. Nice weather lately, BUT I think there is more cold weather to come. This is just February. Still winter but you can see the beautiful daffodils blooming in our yards. Nice in church on Sunday, love it. Choir special, “Jesus is Coming Soon”, specials by Ruby, Jordan, Rusty and Kim and me then our pastor’s message from 2nd Chronicles 20: 3-12 “Where Could I Go But To The Lord”? Always, to Him you can …

Beautiful blooming daffodils give us hope for the Spring

Mae Buice, Columnist I can’t wait to see what is in store from Mother Nature. Nice weather lately, BUT I think there is more cold weather to come. This is just February. Still winter but you can see the beautiful daffodils blooming in our yards. Nice in church on Sunday, love it. Choir special, “Jesus is Coming Soon”, specials by Ruby, Jordan, Rusty and Kim and me then our pastor’s message from 2nd Chronicles 20: 3-12 “Where Could I Go But To The Lord”? Always, to Him you can go …

Snow memories with me and my two brothers at Christmas

Betty Moore, Columnist We send our sympathy to the family of Richard Turner who passed away from leukemia. He lived at White Plains but Edna Smith from Swords was his aunt. He had cousins and uncles here. The funeral was at Mt. Stephens Baptist Church at White Plains on February 17 with interment at the church cemetery. The Rev. Garner and the Rev. Eugene Bess were the pastors. The Rev. Garner is a former pastor of the church there and was a good friend of Richard’s. The Rev. Garner …

Tickets available for annual chicken barbecue April 26th

Mae Buice, Columnist What a beautiful day…. and just a short week ago what did we have? Oh, Mother Nature, how you do tease. But yes, we do deserve some nice weather and I do pray that old groundhog was right. He did not see his shadow. Sunday was nice. Just a light jacket and you are warm enough. Services were very good in our little church on Sunday. The Spirit was present as Butch brought his sermon from Ezekiel 1.   So many times we think God doesn’t hear our …

Rutledge News: Ahoy Y’all! Bon Voyage Fundraiser

Editor Rutledge News Leave a Comment

Ahoy y’all” is the welcoming call for the 4th annual Rutledge Downhome Soiree to benefit Rutledge Beautification. All of this year’s contributions will go toward curbing and landscaping the new park in the City of Rutledge. The Rutledge Beautification committee is comprised of eight local residents who have a passion for making this “Small but Special” town beautiful but the opportunity to be a part of this beautification is open to all who wish to be involved. The Bon Voyage Fun’ Raiser will set sail from the Caboose at 7p.m. …

Ok, I’m ready for this weather to clear out and leave . . . Again!

By Mae Buice WHAT!!!!  Snow on Tuesday. It’s nice for maybe an hour but I hope it skips over us. I know the school kids would love a “snow day” vacation. And that’s the way I opened my last news column. I pray this is not a repeat of that week. The kids will have to go to school half the summer to make up these days. Me???  I AM ready for a little spring weather. Seems most of our sick are all better. It was rough in many households …

Remembering our spotless fireplace with “white mud”

By Betty Moore, Columnist John and Gail Wade went to Lawrenceville to see the grandchildren. They enjoy playing with them so much. Martha Sue Peek has lived in Charleston, South Carolina, Germany, Cheyenne, Wyoming, Goose Bay, Labrador, Philippines, Oklahoma City and now she is back after 50 years residing at Buckhead. Olivia Dennings and Janice Lankford have birthdays on February 19. Happy birthday to you two! I found out late in the afternoon that apparently there must have been some emergency. People were routed away from Buckhead. Everyone had to …

Mark your calendar for “Old Buckhead Days”

By Betty Moore, Columnist   The Belles of Buckhead enjoyed a delicious pot-luck supper at Eloise Bowden’s house. The hostesses were Lady Catherine, Princess Dragonfly and Queen Lady Lilac did a great job of decorating, serving and fun games. In January they enjoyed a meal at the Chowder House. Queen Lady Lilac was the hostess. The birthdays were Myra Clothier, Dorothy Sharp, Cathy Slaughter and Amanda Thomas. I was so sorry to hear of the death of Mary Mason Jackson. I had not seen her in a few years. It …

This and That from the RTL

Atlanta is by far the largest and most influential city in Georgia. In recent years Atlanta has been frequently referred to as the ATL. The Atlanta Hawks have jerseys that simply have ATL across the chest. This influence has filtered out to our “Small but Special” town as I have heard young people around here referring to Rutledge as the RTL. I like it! The talk of the town has been the cold weather. The coldest winter in many years has produced lots of days with temperatures not getting out …

Keeping jugs of water in kitchen to prepare for snow storm

By Betty Moore, Columnist As I write this we are all anticipating the predicted snow storm for our area on the 28 of January. Today is a nice day so we wait and see what happens. Meanwhile I’m keeping my jugs of water in the kitchen and a bucket of water for the bathroom. I’ll be ready. The Lake Oconee Baptist Chapel will have a movie on February 9 at 6 p.m. Come to see “Ring the Bell.” It will be a movie that is inspiring and worth your time. …

I’m ready for the weather to clear out and leave us alone

By Mae Buice, Columnist WHAT!!!! Snow on Tuesday…it’s nice for maybe an hour but I hope it skips over us. I know the school kids would love a “snow day” vacation. This weather has been the topic of many conversations lately…..and a hot topic it is. Or should I say “cold” topic. I’m ready for it to clear out and leave us alone. Thankful for visitors on Sunday and a fairly good crowd as still we have those out still sick. Several are going on several weeks of this stuff …

Kiss your elbow and turn into a boy – didn’t work for me

By Betty Moore, Columnist Our pipes were frozen twice but thankfully none were burst. I had saved some water in jugs. I used some but the other is still in my kitchen. I asked my husband what I should do with it. He said, “Let it stay there.” I will likely get it to the carport. Today, Jan.20 is a beautiful sunny day. There were no frozen pipes. The temperature was about 24 degrees this morning. My daughter Linda is flying to Chicago tonight. It will be 12 degrees when …

Wednesday night services have been suspended this month

By Mae Buice, Columnist I just checked the thermometer on the back porch and it read a steaming 52 degrees. Is that enough that it’ll burn all this flu/crud sickness away? Tthe freezing cold didn’t do it. Beautiful day out there. But still so much sickness in and about our church family therefore not much news today even though we did have a good crowd on Sunday we missed those that are sick. The choir did exceptionally well on their special as did the special singers. I love our singing service …

Buckhead News: Mark your Calendar for “Old Buckhead Days”

By Betty Moore, Columnist We have really had the rain lately. Last weekend it was over three inches. I saw my column from apparently three-year ago. There was snow on Christmas Day. That was the first time since 1862 that it snowed on Christmas Day. The snow was heavy enough that it caused the roof on our old chicken house to collapse. We had a few things stored in there. It was nothing of great value. Still if you have something in there you want the things. In the same …

Surgar Creek News: New Year started with a bag of sickness for us

By Mae Buice, Columnist Can hardly believe it’s nearly a month since I’ve written and I do appreciate all that have called to check and say you’ve missed me. First of all, Happy New Year to each of you and it started with a bag of sickness for us. I first became sick on Monday before Christmas Day, finally was able to get back to church on Sunday and it felt so good to be in God’s house again. This stuff hits me so hard that it seems forever to …

Rutledge has a new mayor

By Tim Ferguson, Columnist Rutledge’s a new mayor, James Bratcher, began his tenure as mayor on Jan, 1 2014. I met James about 10 years ago while attending Center Pointe Church in Madison. I had the pleasure of attending church with Mr. Bratcher for 7 years and was honored to serve on the church leadership team with him. Rutledge is very fortunate to have a man of great character and integrity providing leadership over the next 4 years. James is a humble, spiritual man who is very approachable and a …

Getting Christmas together without waking little ones

Betty Moore, Columnist I have so little news on this short notice. Happy belated birthday to Sylvia Moon on December 16. Jim Moon will have a birthday on December 24. Happy birthday to you! Hunters Moon has not been well this week, I hope that you are better soon. The Buckhead Baptist church will have communion on christmas Eve at 6pm. Why not come? Dennis and Julie Godbee had a reunion of his family last Saturday at their home. At this point, so near to Christmas, I have done no …

“The fool hath said in his heart, there is no God”

Mae Buice, Columnist Good morning and can you believe, here we are; middle of December already. Where do the days and weeks go? It’s cold this morning but overall the weekend was good. Warm church services filled with love and the Spirit. Sunday morning Butch took his text from Psalm 53 verse 1 with a reference to Hebrews 6, asking the question, “What if I don’t need God”? What if there isn’t a Christ?” The fool hath said in his heart, there is no God.” What if we believed this …