The best week in the history of America?

Jesse Walker Community

Last week, North Korea released three American prisoners who arrived back in the United States. When President Trump met the released prisoners at Andrews, he announced that the first-ever meeting between a sitting U.S. president and a North Korean leader would be held in Singapore on June 12. Then, North Korea announced that it will dismantle its nuclear test site in less than two weeks in a dramatic event that would set up leader Kim Jong un’s summit with President Trump.  North Korea’s Foreign Ministry announced that all of the …

Letter to the Editor

Jesse Walker Community

Farwell to the beloved Fred Bright To the Editor: On behalf of the State Bar of Georgia, I would like to express condolences to the family, colleagues and many friends of Fredric D. Bright, longtime former district attorney for the Ocmulgee Judicial Circuit, and my dear friend on his recent and very untimely passing. During his distinguished career of 37 years in the legal profession, Fred was the chief prosecutor in Baldwin, Greene, Hancock, Jasper, Jones, Morgan, Putnam and Wilkinson (where his Cinda serves as the Clerk of Court) counties …

Learning together

Tia Lynn Ivey Community

A banquet for Morgan County fourth graders was held at the Methodist Church last week to give children the chance to show off their newly learned etiquette skills. The annual etiquette banquet is the brainchild of Morgan County Elementary School Teacher Angie Fowler who orchestrated the afternoon tea for the second year in a row. This year, 230 students participated, along with 35 local leaders attending last week’s event. “We hope the children take away the concept that manners and etiquette skills are vital in their every day life, and …

The Similarity of a Mother to Christ

Jesse Walker Community

UNION SPRINGS   Greetings from The Springs!  I hope that all moms had a Happy Mother’s Day.  I know that for some whose mothers have passed on, the day can be bittersweet, yet God’s love can grace us through anything! Awesome, awesome, awesome message on Mother’s Day Sunday, May 13.  Pastor Robert L. Terrell, Jr. had a different perspective for us to look at when it comes to our mothers and their significance as women.  Before we were called to be mothers, we were called to serve our husbands.  This …

I want to say thank you to Brownwood Baptist

Jesse Walker Community

SUGAR CREEK   I‘ve got to begin by praising God for such a great day on Sunday.  I did not hear anyone saying anything about the weather, just a beautiful day filled with love everywhere you looked. Our church was about packed out and ready to hear a great Mother’s Day sermon and Butch did not disappoint. He took his message from John 16:21; Isaiah 49 and 66, “A Love Compared to God’s Love”.  The only example God gave was the unconditional love of God.  And he used the example …

MERCIFUL GRACE MINISTRY

Jesse Walker Community

Message from God   Greetings to you all. Hope you are all well and blessed. This week I would like to share some poems and blessings with you all, which I have written. I’m not worthy of His love, but He covered me with His blood. A life filled with sin and shame, Not worthy to even speak His name. Guilty was my only plea, But Jesus came down and took the nails for me.       Rp. 8-27-16 It’s a beautiful day.  God is awesome and amazing. Praise …

“The Love of a Mother”

Jesse Walker Community

BROWNWOOD BAPTIST   Our community was saddened on Friday to hear of the death of David Dickson. He was our neighbor for 50 years. We could not have asked for any better neighbor anywhere than he and his wife Sarah.  They would do anything they could to help us in any way, or for anybody that needed them.  He will be missed by anyone that knew him. Our prayers go out to his family during this time. On Mother’s Day attendance was good with members and visitors. It was so …

Where the Spirit of the Lord Dwells

Jesse Walker Community

GREATER MOSES BAPTIST CHURCH Praise God, On Sunday, April 29, this was a fifth Sunday and Pastor Williams candidly asked everyone to dress down like it was old times, and  asked that when we entered the church to come in full swing of singing and praising God.  It gave the resemblance of back-in-the-day.  It was such a high-spirited feeling, something different, yet unique.  Pastor Williams asked everyone in the Sanctuary to give a personal testimony, stating that no one left in this world is alive today without having been through …

Landmark doll show at Cottage captivates viewers

Jesse Walker Community

Special to the Citizen On May 4th and 5th, during the Madison in May Tour of Homes, the restored Richter Cottage was adorned with well-loved dolls and Teddy bears, each with a history of its own. Over 125 dolls were displayed, filling every space and piece of furniture in the cottage. Twenty-seven different owners shared personal stories of their favorite dolls, some hand-made by family members, some over 100 years old, some bought as a collection from popular movies, fairy tales, and children’s stories of the time – “The Wizard …

Blue birds find home in Madison

Sarah Wibell Community, Featured

See that flash of blue go by? Hear that raspy purring call? Bluebirds around Madison are multiplying and that’s not just because of those birds and the bees in the springtime trees. Betsy Wagenhauser has been sharing her love of bluebirds around town, and that has led to the creation of her very own bluebird trail – an endeavor she hopes others will duplicate. “A couple of years ago, I started thinking a lot about bluebirds,” stated Wagenhauser, resident of Bonar Hall, that beautiful historic home with the city …

Don’t Get “Hooked” on Fishing

Sports Reports Alvin Richardson, Community

If I ever write a book I’ll call it Truth’s, Half Truth’s and Downright Lies mainly because I can’t remember which category all my little adventures fall under.  But today I offer you the painful details concerning an incident that is carved into my memory (so to speak). It is a true and accurate account of an episode the details of which I have never before revealed to anyone (except a certain doctor friend). It was embarrassing, discomforting, distressing and historically without precedent.  I hope you don’t think less of …

Trump-the Protestor

Patrick Yost Community

With Trump’s continuing attacks on everyone who dares to disagree with him, particularly the FBI and special counsel Mueller, it seems a good time to consider a line from “Hamlet,” in which Queen Gertrude says, “The lady doth protest too much, methinks.” Not only has Trump protested too much, his rants on social media and at his rallies suggest two things about the man: (1) To the extent that it serves him personally, he cares nothing about the damage he does to the country, nor to the institutions that hold …

Make a Plan to Vote in May 22 Primary Elections

Patrick Yost Community

Our votes are always important. They are the essential building blocks of our American democracy, and they are our great privilege as citizens. However, our votes as Democrats and progressives are more important than ever in 2018 with the increasing possibility of a “Blue Wave” in Georgia politics this year. There are at least three areas of concern to all Georgians in which Democrats lead with progressive ideas: Healthcare, Education and Transit. Democrats will work hard to expand Medicaid in Georgia, reversing the disastrous Republican refusal to accept Medicaid expansion …

Letters to the Editor

Jesse Walker Community

Thank you to all   involved in               ‘Madison in May’ Tour To The Editor, On behalf of the Steering Committee for the “Madison in May” Tour of Homes, we would like to extend our most sincere thanks to the private homeowners and the dozens and dozens of docents and other volunteers without whom the Madison-Morgan Cultural Center could not have staged a successful tour. MMCC also sincerely appreciates the extraordinary cooperation that the Cultural Center receives each year from the Historical Society, Landmarks …

Denny Ewing creates flower arrangements for those unable to venture outdoors

Tia Lynn Ivey Community

Spring is full bloom, but not everyone is able to venture outdoors to enjoy it. One local woman is on a mission to bring a little bit of Spring to the lives of those who need it most. Every week, Denny Ewing handcrafts special flower arrangements for the patients at Madison Health and Rehab and residents of the senior retirement home, The Madison House. “It’s very heartwarming,” said Denny. “They look forward to seeing the flowers every week. I just want to make them smile and brighten their day. It’s …

Mother’s Day!

Dianne Yost Biz Buzz, Community

Ain’t no buggers out tonight. . . PawPaw killed ‘em all last night . . . NOT! I swannie there’s a Troll infestation in Morgan County, Momma! They’re just a hatin’ an a bullyin’ on social media an everywhere! We’ve gotta hatch us a scheme and hatch it quick! Gimme my cell. I’ll get Batman on speed dial. “Batman, it’s Biz Buzz. Momma’s just fine thanks for askin’ . . Hey, we need help in Georgia tonight! Dang! Ok thanks Batman.” CLICK!  Open the batbox Momma! Troll Repellent Spray. PERF! …

Garden Museum debuts at Cultural Center

Tia Lynn Ivey Community, Featured

The Madison-Morgan Cultural Center (MMCC) recently underwent an extensive, exterior $1. 8 million makeover, hiring an Atlanta-based landscaping firm tasked with the restoration and greening of the main building, along with improvements to the drainage system. “We are building for the future,” said MMCC Director Kim Brown. “We are hoping to build for a larger, more diverse, audience, and trying to make the center more welcoming.” Over the last few years, the MMCC has been raising money through a capital campaign for the project, so far raising $1.5 million. …

UNION SPRINGS

Jesse Walker Community

By His Spirit Says the Lord By Adrienne Terrell Greetings from The Springs!  USBC’s Annual Hat Parade is back and the ladies will stroll down the aisle in grand fashion on Mother’s Day, May 13.  There is still time to shop for the perfect one. Big, small, wide or tall, come and show your unique style. Graduating seniors, it is not too late to apply for the church scholarships. There are several that you can apply for, so be sure to get your applications.  In addition, we need your info …

SUGAR CREEK

Jesse Walker Community

Do you get tired of hearing about the weather all the time? By Mae Buice Do you get tired of hearing about the weather all the time?   Well, now, I’m just saying thank you Lord, for the beautiful weather and I think spring is finally here. Beautiful day in church on Sunday as Butch brought a good message from Jeremiah 9: 23-24 with the subject, “That Which is Worthwhile”.  We sometimes say something is just not worth the trouble we go through for that. So many times “worthwhile” is used. But it is …

BROWNWOOD BAPTIST

Jesse Walker Community

Happy Motherís Day By Margie Ward On Sunday attendance was good, glad to see each and every one there including visitors. They are always so faithful to come and worship with us. We pray they are blessed by coming! The call to worship was “Send the Light”. Pastor Cottrell’s message was “Bearing our Brother’s Burden’s”. When we decided to follow Christ, we chose to enter a journey from that point, to the ending of this life.  As we journey we have trials and times of difficulties.  But, we also know …