Tragedy shocks beloved Sugar Creek community

Editor Sugar Creek News Leave a Comment

By Mae Buice I am truly having the worst time getting this article started today, been in a stupor for several days, but I will put something together. You might want to call it “shell shock.” Sundays are always beautiful days regardless of what goes on outside. We were lucky and had a bright, sunshine-y day on Sunday. With many visitors in the church house and a good singing service and preaching hour, I’d say it was an exceptional day. Butch brought his message from the great book of Isaiah, …

Columnist dreads early autumn’s falling oak leaves

Editor Buckhead News Leave a Comment

By Betty Moore Well it seems that we must be into an early fall. Our oak tree leaves are falling. I dread it when they all fall. There are several trees in the yard with large leaves. That really makes for a huge mess. I usually let the wind do the job of blowing them away. Many blow into the road and across the road. That suits me just fine. John and Gail Wade will go to Athens Thursday to help her sister celebrate her birthday. Dink and Sandra Dorminy …

Monsignor Dora: “The Dogs of Rutledge”

Editor Rutledge News Leave a Comment

By Peter A. Dora Upon reaching age 65 a couple of years ago I decided not to retire but to keep going as long as possible. This resolve was marked with a grand non-retirement party at the Caboose in Rutledge. Some months later it occurred to me that I had better give some attention to my health and fitness if I wanted to stay active. Some steps would have to be taken. After buying a digital pedometer I started exploring the sidewalks of Rutledge on a daily basis. At first …

No rain like this since gathering beans

By Betty Moore We had quite a weekend with all of the rain. I think that it was about five and one-half inches or more. I know that the ground is thoroughly soggy. I don’t remember a year where there was so much rain except one where I had to gather the butter beans. It kept raining and raining. Our butter beans were hanging ready to gather. The sun began to shine a little one day, but the rain came back. I had put on my knee boots to wear …

The August weather seems to dominate the conversation

By Mae Buice Seems all the conversations these days are about the weather and “I don’t ever remember an August being like this.” It sure rained in this area, seems the whole weekend. I’ve never known of Lake Oconee getting out of its banks. I pray not. Even so with all the weather we had a great weekend as our three grandsons were here and celebrated their tradition of being together for their birthdays; as they were all born on the same day, it’s only natural that they care so …

Bulls get loose on Shake Rag Road

By Betty Moore It seems that news has all but dried up. I waited until afternoon to call some people. Then there was a thunderstorm. So I could not call. So here’s what little that I have. The Buckhead Baptist Church is in preparation for their revival and homecoming. Homecoming will be September 8 with revival being September 9, 10 and 11. They anticipate having a great crowd that comes each year to come again. As a reminder why not go ahead and mark those dates on your calendar now. …

Remembering the City of Rutledge, then and now

By Joellen Artz “Through the eyes of the casual visitor, Rutledge seems to be the small, quiet town described in many a novel. The residential streets are shaded by canopies of massive oaks and elms. The houses appear to have been freshly painted and well-maintained. While the shops and stores are rusty and dusty, they look quaint and their appearance is dismissed as less important. As the visitor strolls along the main street, he is aware of a feeling of warmth and friendliness between townsfolk that is often rare in …

“Time waits for no one”

By Mae Buice Hey, did I understand the weatherman to say more showers all this week? We need a little and thankful for every drop, but we don’t need any floods. Neighbors throughout Georgia have had terrible floods. Pray we don’t get that much. The summer days have been beautiful and here we are, almost the half of August is gone. Time waits for no one. We thank the visitors that came on Sunday and hope you received a blessing. Church attendance was good, but still so many are seriously …

Rutledge: It’s like taking a step back in time

Rutledge News By Donna Myers Taking my pen in hand is the direct result of a request from Joellen Artz to write a few words about what it’s like to be a transplant to the state of Georgia. My name is Donna Myers and my husband Dennis and I relocated to Georgia last October after residing in northern Indiana for 65 years. We wanted to escape the northern winters and had a daughter and son-in-law plus two grandchildren located in Greensboro. Our son-in-law is a realtor and suggested we might …

Summer comes to an end for schoolchildren

Buckhead News By Betty Moore Well it certainly doesn’t seem like it, but summer for the school children is all but over. I hope that it will be a good year for not only the children but for the school teachers and all of those in charge. I pray God’s blessing on all of you. We have no grandchildren to attend school. Monday the last Buckhead Friendship Club was held to honor Peggy Armour who is moving to sun City, Arizona. Peggy, we wish the very best happiness for you. …

Wonderful revival week, great singing, preaching, friends; who could ask for more?

Sugar Creek News By Mae Buice Big news flash! I got my boot off today  (Monday) and it feels wonderful.  Doctor said it has healed and I will not have to have surgery. Ain’t God Good! Yea, it’s good news for me and yet I think that I am so thankful that I didn’t break a hip, back, yes thank you Lord. We’ve had a wonderful week of revival, packed church about every night,  good singing,  preaching and good friends. Who could ask for more? Ralph Baker preached the Word and had a …

The pursuit of happiness: You “get it” or you don’t

Rutledge News By Joan Ekstrom Rutledge has a slogan: “Rutledge… Small but Special.” And when you visit Rutledge you either “get it” or you don’t. The folks who “get it” come back again and again. I believe part of the reason is the small and simple things in life bring happiness. Yours truly is a visitor to a small country this summer, and whether it’s Rutledge or Denmark, maybe size really doesn’t matter and sometimes less really is more. Although Denmark is small geographically (about one-third the size of Georgia), …

Master Gardeners’ plans have changed!

Editor Madison News Leave a Comment

Madison News By Monaray Powers The families of the late Thomas M. Gilbert and Fannie Lou Gilbert had their annual get together Sunday under the big pecan trees at the home of Mike and Pam Gilbert. Pork barbecue and stew were served to those present along with side dishes prepared by those in attendance. Thanks to the ones that stayed up all night cooking the barbecue. Robin Benkoski is recuperating at her home following knee surgery Monday. Sympathy is extended to Rev. Charles Smith and family in the death of …

Calling “Mama” on trip west to Colorado

Buckhead News By Betty Moore I was shocked today to learn of the death of Jimmy Alford of Eatonton. I had known him all of his life. At one point we lived next door to he and his family As a matter of fact his mother was my mother’s first cousin. I send my sympathy to the family. Any of the Harper families in the county were kin to him I presume because his mother was a Harper. The Buckhead Baptist Church sold the parsonage and there is a new …

Beautiful day and music, great crowd and message for Homecoming last Sunday

Sugar Creek News By Mae Buice I am just a very happy person this Monday morning. After such a wonderful weekend, seems I look forward to each rewarding day as I get a day older. I truly do have so much to be thankful for. We had a beautiful day for Homecoming on Sunday, a great crowd, beautiful music and a great message. After listening to the Sonrise Trio, enjoyed by all, who can give you a message from song, Butch took his message from a favorite passage of scripture, …

Dedicated to the memory of Lois Harper

Rutledge News By Betty Edwards When Joellen Artz asked me a few weeks ago if I would submit a news article to the Citizen, I immediately thought it would be nice to write a column in honor of Mama. Writing a weekly column was a suitable position in life for her, but when I tried to put my thoughts on paper, I went blank, so I turned off the computer and abandoned my effort, telling myself maybe I would have a brainstorm later. I was sweeping off the front …

Columnist returns from trip out West to Colorado to see a graduation

Buckhead News By Betty Moore I have just returned from Denver. I went with my daughter Linda Moore Kincaid and her husband Bill to see her graduate from the University of Colorado with an Executive MBA degree. While she was in class Thursday and Friday Bill and I went site seeing. We rented a wheel chair at first. If there was any distance to walk he pushed me. The first day we went to the Rockies, which we could see in the distance from Denver. We decided that we needed …

Master Gardeners’ meeting Aug. 5 to feature Crystal Organic Farm

Editor Madison News Leave a Comment

Madison News By Monaray Powers Morgan County Master Gardeners will meet at 5 p.m., Aug. 5 at the County Extension Office, 440 Hancock Street. Call 706-342-1206. The program will be Crystal Organic Farm, which was started 20 years ago by Helen Dumba and her son Nichola Donck. They were the recipients of the 2008’s Land Stewardship Award at the Georgia Organic Conference. Dumba will share her knowledge and experiences with us. Elder Willie Oliver’s children celebrated the Fourth of July with him at his home where they all enjoyed a …

Time changed for Homecoming next week

Sugar Creek News By Mae Buice Another beautiful summer day is in store for this Monday and good day to each of you and I trust you had a great weekend. I did, but to me every day is a great day to me. That means I’m on this side of the dirt and I’m thankful for that. I guess as I get older I seem to enjoy more each day of what the Lord has given to me. Sunday morning, a good crowd, even with a good many on …

Secrets that all dog owners need to know

Rutledge News By Carol Altznauer Cherokee Rose Ranch, the well-kept secret that all dog owners need to know about. Located off of Brownwood Road on Knight Road in Rutledge is a little gravel driveway that winds around until you reach the end, where Steve and Cindy Shell reside with their little haven of animals that they love and care for on a daily basis. Your first hint that this is a ranch of plenty is the goats that reside on the right side of the driveway and often stroll to …