mcc

Dolls of Christmases past

Staff Written Community

By Rachel Harper When I was little, Christmas was always an exciting time for me and my brothers and sister.  We would continually look through the Sears and Roebuck Wish Catalog to start making our lists as to what we wanted for Christmas. I can remember making a list, but I really don’t remember going to see Santa Claus and sitting in his lap.  Knowing me, I probably wouldn’t have wanted to do that anyway!   I would always wish for a new baby doll.  I didn’t care if I had …

Oh, Christmas Tree

Staff Written Community

By Dee Cabaniss Pederson Christmas – it’s just a happy word, isn’t it?  You kind of have to smile when you say it.  I have so many memories of the most wonderful time of the year that I had some difficulty settling on any one in particular.  But after a full minute, I decided there is one Christmas tradition filled with excitement, frustration, joy, and a bit of rage – the acquisition of the perfect Christmas tree. Growing up on a dairy farm, we had plenty of wooded areas and …

My most memorable Christmas

Staff Written Community

By Angela Wilson My favorite Christmas as a child was the Christmas of 1969. I was seven years old.  My family and I lived in Douglas, Coffee County, Georgia.  It was Christmas Eve morning.  My mother informed me and my brother and sister that the family would be spending Christmas at my paternal grandmother’s house.  My dad’s sister and her two daughters were there also.  My grandmother’s name was Leressie Wilson.  We called her Lee.  Well, we packed up and went across town to her house.  When we arrived, Lee …

Grateful Christmas Memories

Staff Written Community

By Sheree Evans Christmas has always been an exciting time of the year for me. I have always loved the beautiful lights, the smell of a cedar tree, parties and the hustle and bustle of the season. Terry and I married in 1993, and we have had many happy and memorable Christmases together. In the beginning of 2007, Terry noticed that he was getting tired really easy and just walking a mile was zapping his energy. He had always been active in sports and had kept himself in good shape …

Meteorology at MCHS

Sarah Wibell Community, Featured

By Sarah Wibell Morgan County High School (MCHS) is standing out from other high schools across Georgia in a new way. Offering a science course in meteorology, students at MCHS are engaged in hands-on learning that aims to give back to the community through truly local weather forecasts. “I think there are about three high schools in the state that currently teach a class in meteorology,” MCHS science teacher and alumna Michelle Ozburn said. “Because it’s a new class and it’s something different, the engagement among our students has been …

Santa coming to Chophouse, Society Hall

Dianne Yost Biz Buzz, Community

Whew howdy! Bedtime at last! I’m slap worn out y’all! A cold winter night in Madison, Georgia. Moon and stars shine bright in their glory while clouds lazily drift. Ascending into sleep . . . deep, deep, sleep . . . Entering the dream realm where spirits roam. Hoooooooooohaaaaaaaaaa hooooooooooooohaaaaaaa … ka ka ka  … snore . . . khoooooooooohaaaaaaaa . . . . “AWAKE! I am the Ghost of Christmas Past! What the? I ain’t flyin’ nowhere!  SHOOSH! Not so fast! Whoa! Madison is flat full of shops, businesses …

Morgan Medical hosts ribbon cutting

Tia Lynn Ivey Community, Featured

After 15 years of dreaming, reorganizing, planning, applying, and constructing, the new $35 million Morgan Medical Center, the much anticipated replacement hospital on Lions Club Road in Madison, is finally completed. Hospital officials and local leaders celebrated the completed project last Sunday, with a traditional ribbon cutting and community tour to show off the brand new state-of-the-art, modernized hospital fit for 21st century healthcare. “It is a glorious day for all involved, but especially for the citizens of all the communities we serve. What a great Christmas present for you …

Employers show appreciation

Sarah Wibell Community, Featured

Our story begins about six months ago: A trip for employees who were not to know what their bosses had planned till shortly before adventures began with surprises galore… For almost two years Nancy and George Launius, owners of Thrifty Mac Pharmacy, had wanted to do something special for their employees who are like a family to them. In July, they began to plan a weekend trip to New York City (NYC). “Life is short,” Nancy asserted. “I’m a firm believer in making memories along the way and sharing opportunities …

mcc

Hospital ribbon cutting Sunday

Tia Lynn Ivey Community

The new Morgan Medical Center, the $35 million replacement hospital, is set to open later this month after years of hospital and local leaders collaborating to fund and build the new state-of-the-art hospital. In September of 2017, hospital officials, elected officials, state officials and community leaders gathered at the then open site on Lions Club Road in Madison, to commemorate the start of the long-waited construction process with a traditional a groundbreaking ceremony. Those leaders will gather once more to celebrate the hospital’s completion with a ribbon cutting and guided …

Community effort = complete success

This year’s Holiday Tour of Homes, orchestrated by Heritage Hall this year, brought about 2300 visitors to wander through some of Madison’s most luxurious historical homes, museums, and churches. “It was the second largest tour we have ever done,” said Pat Leming, president of Heritage Hall. “If the weather had been nice on Saturday, we probably would have set a new record.” This year’s tour featured 12 privately-owned historic homes, three museums houses, three museums, and five churches. Visitors strolled the streets of Madison during the day and evening …

Rutledge Rooster crows once more

Staff Written Community

Dear Friends and Neighbors, Christmas is almost upon us. Out in Rutledge plans are underway to celebrate. This Saturday, Dec 8th, our annual Christmas Festival will be held in City Park. Sponsored by the Rutledge Garden Club, there will be vendors selling handcrafted goods, festive food, a variety of musical and magical entertainment and most importantly, a visit from Santa and one of his merriest elves. The Rutledge Recreation Department is hosting the city’s first ever Christmas parade going off at 10 am.. Santa and his elf will be arriving …

A Christmas concert in Madison

Brittany Whitley Community, Featured

The Madison Morgan Cultural Center dashed into December with their well anticipated Community Holiday Concert on Sunday. The historical auditorium held a full audience of supportive locals and staged a variety of talented members throughout the community of all age ranges. Emceed by Dan and Heather Mathews, the concert featured group performances from the Morgan County Middle School (MCMS) Jazz Band, Calvary Majestic Choir, Pointe of Grace Dance Academy Tap II Class, MCMS Chorale, First United Methodist Church Women’s Ensemble, and Angelic Voices. While Derek Scoggins & Sophie Barnes, Fulton …

A guide to all things Christmas in Morgan County

Lights are being strung, wreaths are being hung, and bells will soon be jingling. The Christmas season is upon us and there is no shortage of local holiday activities on the horizon for Morgan County families to enjoy. From crafts to concerts, from parades to festivals, there is surely something for everyone to do to get into the holiday spirit. Cookies with Santa at Mint Juleps Kitchen on Thursday, Nov 29 at 4 p.m. Saint Nick himself will kick-off the Christmas season in Madison this year, making an early appearance …

Students learn the joys of giving

Brittany Whitley Community, Featured

First there was Thanksgiving Thursday, then Black Friday, then Cyber Monday, but then there was Giving Tuesday. In honor of this fairly new global holiday, Morgan County Primary School (MCPS) is running a week-long – Tuesday until Friday – Giving Market hosted by Brian Kimball from Booster for the students. Booster, a school solutions company based in Alpharetta, is dedicated to serving schools by reinventing the execution of fundraisers and infusing character skills such as integrity and leadership into the students through their events. The Giving Market aims to foster …

Community comes together for Thanksgiving

On Thanksgiving Day, this Thursday, Nov. 22, the annual Community Thanksgiving Meal will be held at the new Morgan County High School in the cafeteria from 7 a.m. to 1 p.m. Calvary Baptist Church in Madison has been partnering with the school system and other community groups for decades to ensure everyone has the opportunity to eat a traditional Thanksgiving meal. Last year, nearly 300 people throughout Morgan County took advantage of the free Thanksgiving meal made possible by Calvary Baptist Church and the Morgan County Board of Education. About …

Time to Shop, Sip, and Stroll through Madison

Dianne Yost Community, Featured

Downtown Madison’s restaurant and retail destinations were in their full Holiday glory Saturday during Madison Main Street’s first Shop, Sip & Stroll promotion that attracted scores of shoppers from the local community and from surrounding cities like Athens, Atlanta, Covington and the Lake Oconee area. Shoppers got their first taste of the Holidays and experienced a true, small town Holiday outing in a charming setting outside of the ubiquitous big-box experience. Local shops were decorated to the hilt with Christmas lights, trees, wreaths, greenery and holiday decorations alongside refreshments and …

Morgan County celebrates Veterans Day

Local veterans and their families gathered last Friday to celebrate Veterans Day in the brand new Morgan County High School. The community celebrated local veterans for their bravery, sacrifice and unyielding patriotism.  About 2,000 people turned out for the event, which featured patriotic songs performed by the MCHS Chorus and Band, and a special guest speaker, Colt Savard, who has served in the United States Air Force for the last five years. Lieutenant and Colonel Derrick Dailey, who is a senior flight instructor and part of MCHS’s ROTC program, led …

mcc

Dancing with the Stars fundraiser is Nov. 8

Brittany Whitley Community

The Madison-Morgan Boys & Girls Club (MMBGC) is inviting you to come and enjoy a night with the stars. The Madison Stars specifically. The Seventh Annual Dancing with the Madison Stars (DWTMS) is back with 10 new sparkling groups who are sure to dance you right out of your seats the evening of November 8 at the Madison-Morgan Cultural Center Hall. The dancers this year are as follows: Jeny Lauderdale and Avery Williams, Maddox and Mary Holis Pugmire, Sherree Evans and Terry Evans, The Fierce Foursome, Zach and Sydney Floyd, …

Halloween in Madison

Spooky ghouls and goblins collided with superheros and princesses at Town Park in Madison last Wednesday as families gathered to celebrate Halloween. A special parade with live music marched downtown that concluded with families in their creative costumes receiving loads of candy. According to the City of Madison, “On Halloween this year costumed trick-or-treaters up to age 12 and costumed pets on leashes – along with their families – were invited to join us for a free parade in and around the park.” Prizes were awarded for exceptional kid (and …

Cotton Gin Festival draws record numbers

The 29th Annual Cotton Gin Festival in Downtown Bostwick drew an unprecedented crowd last Saturday to this year’s event. Angie Howard, who organizes the event, estimated at least 7,200 people attended Saturday’s parade and afternoon of music, food, and family-friendly fun. Thousands lined the streets to cheer on this year’s Cotton King, John Nunn.  Nunn, 88, is a fourth generation farmer with his family home on Wellington Street in Bostwick.  Nunn served in the Navy before carrying on his family’s cotton farming legacy. He married his hometown girlfriend Ona Malcom …