HERE COME OUR GRADUATES

Staff Written Community, Featured

Morgan County Seniors Rokeya Williams, Michael Peters, Susan Bishop, Davis Moore, Erin Bloomer, and Taylor Benford pose in masks and graduation garb as they prepare to receive their hard earned diplomas this week. RIGHT: Family and friends gather to cheer on seniors at a graduation practice held on Monday, May 18 at Morgan County High School.   Morgan County High Schoolís special ìindividualî graduation ceremonies will be split over the course of three days for more than 200 graduating seniors. The graduation extravaganza kickoffs Wednesday, May 20 at 3 p.m., …

Ministers Union gives again!

Staff Written Community

The Morgan County Ministers Union, which is partnering with other local churches and volunteers, distribute food boxes last Saturday at Morgan County High School. The Ministers Union is planning to continue the food drive every Saturday at the high school while the coronavirus pandemic leaves local families financially struggling to make ends meet. The pick-up is drive-thru only to help reduce contact during the pandemic. 

Calvary leads community response to people in need

Staff Written Community

By Tia Lynn Ivey managing editor  Calvary Baptist Church in Madison partnered with other local churches and volunteers to assemble and distribute 500 boxes of food and “corona care packages” to families in need throughout Morgan County during the Coronavirus Pandemic. Reverend Hoke Smith, pastor of Calvary Baptist Church, and his wife Ann Smith, were happy to see all community come together to help those in need.  “It was just fantastic. This was truly a community effort,” said Rev. Hoke Smith. Smith noted the Calvary Baptist partnered with the the …

From the desk of the valedictorian

Contributed Community

Hello, my name is Michael Peters, and I am the valedictorian of the Class of 2020 at Morgan County High School. As we now begin to embark on our journeys following our graduation this week, I would like to end this school year with some final remarks. However, before I begin, I would like to thank the outstanding teachers, counselors, and faculty for supporting me and enriching my learning environment with your work at Morgan County High School. I owe it to the faculty of Morgan County High School for …

From the desks of the salutatorians

Contributed Community

I think my story at Morgan County High School is the same as most others in my graduating class. Before I entered the high school’s doors for the first time, I hardly spoke a word, but now, I’m much more comfortable with speaking in groups large or small. Not everyone in the Class of 2020 has had my problem, but I can say with certainty that every single person graduating in my class has persisted through their problems to succeed regardless of whether or not there was an easier path …

From the desks of the salutatorians

Contributed Community

Dear Morgan County, First of all, I would like to thank the administration of Morgan County High School for letting me come to the school from out of county. Without them, I could not be here–literally–and I certainly would not have enjoyed my time at MCHS as much.  When I first came to Morgan County, in the ninth grade, I was pleasantly surprised by the sense of community and caring that teachers showed for their students’ success. I came from Montessori School of Covington, a small private school, and as …

James Woodard

From the desk of the Superintendent

Contributed Community

Seniors of 2020, On behalf of the Morgan County Board of Education and the nearly 500 employees in the Morgan County Charter School System, I want to say “Congratulations!” on your momentous achievement. High school graduation is an important milestone in your life, and I hope you are taking time to enjoy the moment! Leaving Morgan County High School with a high school diploma is a very special day for you and your family.  Numerous adults have worked tirelessly to help you achieve this moment.   Alex Haley, an American writer …

From the desk of the principal

Contributed Community

Dear Class of 2020,  Unprecedented.  It is the word that has become a staple in our collective vocabulary over the past several months as we’ve been experiencing a pandemic. It is a useful adjective to describe the uncertainty of this time. Due to this uncertainty, there have been a lot of changes in your senior year – activities have been postponed, restructured, and cancelled. You have handled yourselves with remarkable maturity and understanding through this season and we’re really proud of you for it.  Unprecedented.  Because of its very definition, …

Madison honors top volunteers at meeting

Staff Written Community

By Tia Lynn Ivey managing editor  Every year, the City of Madison honors the service of volunteers who play a critical role in the life of the community during National Volunteer Month. This year, the city announced three volunteer award recipients: Joe Smith, Chris Cook, and Melissa Piche.  Normally, the city hosts an award dinner and other festivities, but the usual celebrations had to be cancelled due to the  COVID-19 pandemic. Instead, the Madison Mayor and City Council paid homage to the award recipients at Monday’s regular meeting. “Even though we couldn’t …

Teachers of the year honored

By Tia Lynn Ivey managing editor  The Morgan County Charter School System has announced each school’s Teacher of the Year. Alec Johnson is the Teacher of the Year for Morgan County High School. Jodie McMichael is the Teacher of the Year for Morgan County Middle School. Karen Spence is the Teacher of the Year for Morgan County Elementary School. Bobbi Hart is the Teacher of the Year for Morgan County Primary School.  ” The Teacher of the Year program recognizes teachers who are the best in their field,” said Dr. …

Our Stories: Time to reflect

Contributed Community

By April Monahan Corrias This has been one of the most beautiful Springs that I can remember. Truly, it has been amazing. The dogwood and azalea blossoms seem bigger and brighter, the sky seems bluer, the birds chirpier. Or maybe it’s because I’ve actually had the time to watch it delicately unpack and unfold itself into Madison. In recent Springs since I’ve had children, I’ve desperately tried to capture it and to appreciate it properly. It hasn’t been possible for me in years because Springtime is also the time of …

Our Stories: My quaint quaratine

Contributed Community

By Meg Higginbotham Never in a million years did I ever think that I would be confined to my home for months. I also never dreamed that my two-year-old would, in her own way, quarantine herself in our house alone, but I continue to be amazed. As a mom, wife, teacher, businesswoman, active church member, and citizen, the quarantine life has been a surprising breath of fresh air. It never occurred to me just how much I miss when I go throughout the daily grind, and this isolation has afforded …

Our Stories: Ramblings of an introvert

Contributed Community

By Yvonne Parrish The directives have been received: Shelter in Place, stay home, wear a mask, wash your hands, distance yourself socially.  Be safe, keep others safe. As an introvert, this sounded like a plan I could manage. I certainly don’t want to infect anyone with anything, and I want to be safe. I have food and other necessities. I should be prepared to do whatever small thing I can to prevent the spread of this dreaded coronavirus. The first week of this confinement, I discovered that I shouldn’t share …

The giving goes on

By Tia Lynn Ivey managing editor  For the last two weeks, the Morgan County Ministers Union has been doling out groceries to families need due to the impact of the coronavirus hitting people’s employment and finances. But now, as more churches and community groups join forces with the Ministers Union to provide help to struggling families, a new aspect on the efforts is slated to begin this week: paying for prescription medicine.  Chris Kennedy, secretary for Redeemer Church in Madison, has volunteered to take calls on Thursday, May 7, from …

Our Stories: How Are We Doing?

Contributed Community

By Pat and Jimmy Stokes We are doing as well as could ever be expected:  we aren’t sick and we are still married!  These past two months have been incredibly different and interesting for both of us.  We missed several important milestones, like our 48th wedding anniversary, a granddaughter’s 20th birthday, Easter at First Methodist, and now Mother’s Day without the girls.  We have gained some needed down time.  Jimmy is still a policy analyst for the Georgia Association of Educational Leaders, so the whirlwind of the General Assembly was …

Our Stories: Enjoying one moment at a time

Contributed Community

By Carrie Wilkins In my job as a CPA, February through mid-April is tax season, which means long hours at work forcing me to squeeze the rest of life into the schedule as time allowed. My husband and daughter are prepared for not seeing much of me this time of year. The same goes for the families of my co-workers.  By early March, however, I knew this was not going to be a time of business as usual. The coronavirus arrived, became a pandemic and I quickly realized that the …

Our Stories: It is certain in Christ

Contributed Community

By James Martin As the coronavirus wages its war against the world life for many has been turned upside down. As a 17 year old high school junior my life looks very different now than it did six months ago. Without school, work, my friends, Younglife club, and so many other activities I have often found myself feeling purposeless.  I’ve struggled to find a reason to get up and go through the same routine over and over again each day. My soul has felt downcast.  This week as I laid …

Our Stories: Ainslie Family grateful for quality time in quarantine

Contributed Community

By Megan and Merritt Ainslie One of the numerous memes circulating social media recently hints at how today’s young children will remember this unusual, upended stretch of time in their lives.  While this is certainly not the case for all, our family has been blessed in that when our primary aged children are older, the first memories they recall of the spring of 2020  will not likely be ones of empty grocery store shelves, people in masks and gloves, stressed parents, scary statistics on the news, or fear of an …

Our Stories: A different COVID-19

Contributed Community

By T. Adrienne Terrell Some of you may know that I write the weekly column for Union Springs News in the Morgan County Citizen newspaper.  After reading several articles by many of the local citizens on the pandemic of COVID-19, I wanted to give my spin on life dealing with this virus. Like many, I watch the news…a lot.  Also like many, I began to follow the reports of the coronavirus especially with its rapid spread in China.  The more it spread, the more I watched the news reports.   …

Community coming together

By Tia Lynn Ivey managing editor  Over a dozen pastors and 35 volunteers joined forces last weekend to give away groceries to needy family in Morgan County. The Morgan County Ministers Union gathered in Madison’s Town Park last Saturday, distributing 100 boxes full of groceries in less than 45 minutes.  Reverend Robert Terrell, pastor of Union Springs Baptist Church in Rutledge, suggested the idea to help meet a critical need he and his pastor colleagues saw in the community.  “This turned into a tremendous community effort,” said Terrell. “We saw …