Helianthus annus blooms bright

Editor Rutledge News Leave a Comment

Rutledge News By Nicole Tilde The Sunflower Farm Festival scheduled for this weekend has me thinking about flowers and their myths and meanings. Why were the Greeks so melodramatic with that old story of Clytie, the young girl who turned into a sunflower while swooning over Apollo? What a sad story for such a happy flower. The sunflower, also known as Helianthus annus, with her bright yellow east facing petals, has always seemed like a symbol of happiness to me, not sorrow as in Clytie’s story. But in Greek legends …

Enjoy barbecue and fireworks tonight

Editor Buckhead News Leave a Comment

Buckhead News By Betty Moore Don’t forget the chicken barbecue on July 4th at the Buckhead fire department. It will be a half chicken, slaw, bread, chips, tea and a dessert. It will be served from 6 to 8 p.m. There will be raffles and games for all plus live music. Tickets for the barbecue will be $8 each. There will be fireworks at dark. Y’all come! I was sorry to see Imogene Martin’s death in the paper. I send my sympathy to the family. When I was about 10 …

Jackson Bailey: Simple man with a big vision

Editor Rutledge News Leave a Comment

Rutledge News By Joan Ekstrom There is a local talent you should know, if you haven’t already heard about him, you may have seen his work. If you have ever crossed the Railroad tracks coming into downtown Rutledge and looked to your right, you have seen his work, The City of Rutledge Seal. Jackson Bailey designed this Seal for the city and it can be seen on the mural on what is now the location of Ele ‘n Honey. But there is much more to know about this dynamic individual. …

There’s a Redd House over yonder, that’s where the seniors eat

Editor Sugar Creek News Leave a Comment

Sugar Creek News By Mae Buice Summer is here, and I have lost most of it. All I can think of, I’ll be wearing winter clothes before I get to really wear summer things, but hopefully all this will soon be taken care of and I can even wear shoes again. Didn’t get to attend church this weekend… had a really bad case of that “crud” I get periodically. I feel a little better today (Monday) so I’ll tell you how I spent my Sunday this week. It was “Bill …